Setting healthy boundaries is essential for maintaining positive relationships and protecting our mental and emotional well-being. Unfortunately, a lot of us struggle with boundary-setting. This often leads to resentment, anxiety, and exhaustion. We end up getting taken advantage of and feeling less than. It makes it hard to be our best and most authentic selves.
Often times, we might not even realize that we need firmer boundaries. So I wanted to share some warning signs with you. If you can relate to any of them, it might be time to take action and prioritize your own needs. I’ve written about this before, but it was a long time ago and I thought it worth repeating.
(Also, I think it’s important to remember that setting boundaries is not selfish or mean; it’s an act of self-care and self-respect.)
HERE ARE SOME WARNING SIGNS THAT YOU MIGHT NEED SOME FIRMER BOUNDARIES:
- You’re afraid to voice your opinion or say no.
- You are always the one that has to go to the other person or make the phone call.
- The only time you hear from them is when no one else is around or if they need a favor.
- They put you down or minimize your accomplishments.
- They trivialize your problems or disregard your feelings.
- They’ll never take responsibility for anything and never admit that they’re wrong.
- They’d never forgive you if you treated them the way that they treat you.
- You find yourself apologizing for things that aren’t your fault.
- They’ll convince you that you’re crazy for being upset about being slighted.
- You’re constantly making excuses for them.
- You’re always terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing, and scared to tell someone that they’ve hurt you, so you try to convince yourself that you’re overreacting.
- You feel guilty every time you put yourself first.
- You’re always making sacrifices but they never do.
- They accuse you of being paranoid if you question something that seams off.
- You’re constantly worried about being a disappointment.
- You get anxious when you think about them.
If any of these statements describe you or the people in your life (notice I say people and not just romantic partner), please, I’m begging you: set some boundaries. You deserve better. I promise you that no one deserves to be treated this way. Other people’s horrible choices and actions are not your fault. Your needs and feelings are just as important as everyone else’s.
Need a visual reminder? I’ve got this sticker in my shop just for that purpose:
Check out some of my other posts here. And don’t forget to subscribe for some awesome freebies and discounts!Want to connect further?