I used to think that I had to go it alone when it came to my struggles. That it didn’t matter how sad or hurt or stressed I was- I had to pull it together and handle it myself. I thought that asking for support would make me come off as needy. It would make me weak and people would consider me a burden. It turns out, that was just because I was surrounded by the wrong people. Once I found my inner circle, everything changed.
What is an inner circle?
In short, I consider your inner circle to be your chosen community. A group of people with similar values and interests as you that not only provides you with support, but a sense of belonging and connection to the world. They can also help to increase your sense of purpose and help provide you with opportunities, exposing you to new perspectives and encouraging your personal growth. Having the right circle can enhance your overall well-being and contribute to a fulfilling life. It can provide emotional and practical assistance during challenging times and help you to achieve your goals.
10 things to look for when building your inner circle:
- Reliable and trustworthy: People who are reliable and trustworthy can be counted on to follow through on commitments, which is crucial for building a strong and effective circle.
- Mutual respect: it allows everyone to acknowledge and honor each other’s differences, opinions, and boundaries.
- Shared values and beliefs: People who share your values and beliefs are more likely to connect with your message and vision.
- Creative and innovative: People who are creative and innovative can bring new ideas and perspectives to the group, helping it grow and evolve over time.
- Common interests: Members of your inner circle should share a common interest or passion that brings them together.
- Positive attitude: People who have a positive attitude can help create a supportive and encouraging environment.
- Sense of community: Your inner circle should foster a sense of community and belonging for those involved.
- Communication: Effective communication is key, so everyone should be encouraged to communicate openly and honestly.
- Accountability: Members of your inner circle should hold each other accountable for their actions and decisions.
- Support: Members of your inner circle should support each other through challenges and celebrate each other’s successes.
When should I build my inner circle?
Get started right away.
Over the last few years, I’ve worked hard to make sure that I’ve stacked my inner circle with some of the most amazing, supportive and loving people. Not only have they stood by me, but they’ve stepped up and helped me to see that I can be vulnerable and emotional without fear of judgment. I feel stronger and more capable than even thanks to their presence in my life, which is leaps and bounds from the way that I felt before I started to really pay attention to who I was allowing into my space. Having the right people really does make a difference.
If you have started to build your inner circle already, awesome! I hope that they help lift you up and make you feel supported and loved. If you haven’t, I encourage you to start. It really can do wonders- I hope this list helps because you absolutely deserve to have people in your life that help to support you and make sure that you remember how amazing you are.
How do I decide who to have in my circle?
Take a look at the list above and consider the people who are in your life. Head on over to your journal and start jotting down who you think of with each number. Write down how these people make you feel. Do you feel supported and happy, excited and motivated when you’re around them? Or are you walking on eggshells, hiding your struggles and hoping that you’re not letting them down? These are definitely things to take note of so that you can make sure you’re surrounding yourself with the right kind of energy and firming up your boundaries with the others.
(And if you don’t have a journal yet, shoot me a message or head on to my etsy shop to get one customized for you.)
Check out some of my other posts here. And don’t forget to subscribe for some awesome freebies and discounts!Want to connect further?
I love this so much! We all need a powerful inner circle to help us live to the fullest! Great article
Absolutely- I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!